Sunday, July 22, 2007

Baby Connor - an honor for me.

This past week I had the honor of photographing the arrival and first hours of life for baby Connor. Connor is a miracle baby - he has a chromosonal defect that often causes babies to be stillborn, or to die within minutes or hours of their birth. Many babies with this problem don't ever get to leave the hospital.

Connor is a fighter, though - not only did he survive his birth, he was able to go home with his parents. Nobody knows how long he will be able to stay here with them - but every single minute is a precious gift that is appreciated by his family.

I have always felt that every NILMDTS session I have done is an honor for me. These babies are on earth for such a short time - and yet their parents allow me into their lives during that short time. Every baby that I have met through NILMDTS has been loved and has made an impact on those around them. It's not how long they are here on earth that matters - sometimes, even the smallest of tiny feet can leave imprints upon our hearts.

Update: Connor was able to spend several days with his family at home and passed away on July 22. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Wow, what an amazingly beautiful photo. I'm humbled by your experience and truly moved by the story you told here. Thank you for posting this, and peace to baby Connor and his parents.

In-Focus said...

what impact this image has, even without the background story...you give these families a gift...one that cannot be replaced...Not sure I could hold it together to do this kind of work...

Jennifer said...

awww, what a miracle to be able to come into this families life and show a little new light to this family. It is sad that he wasn't able to stay longer and they will all be in my prayers. The organiztion is a great thing for families like this, and are much needed for them!