Friday, May 11, 2007

Support the JDRF

This is Adalyne. She is one of the approximately 176,500 children with diabetes in the United States. She has type 1 diabetes, which means she must take insulin to survive. She wears a pump to deliver the insulin, and needs to carefully monitor her blood sugar.

I've worked with Addy twice now, and she's been a real trouper both times, dealing with low blood sugar. I was amazed at how well she dealt with the fingerpricks for blood samples, I'm sure my own kids would have been screaming their heads off after the first one.

Here's what Addy's mom has to say about living with diabetes:

"Thank you so very much for putting the word out about JDRF and Addy. It's little stuff like your blog that will help find a cure one day. Low blood sugars are the pits and you've witnessed 2 of them...everytime it happens, my heart races, my palms get sweaty and I wonder if this is the one that will cause a seizure - is this the one I need to call 911 for - is this the one that will leave her little brain permanently affected??? When it's over and I have my Addy back, my soul cries inside - and on the outside sometimes too - because she's so little and it makes me sad that life with type 1 diabetes is our reality. "

This Saturday (May 12) is family zoo day for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Organization. The zoo will be hosting a scavenger hunt for diabetic children and their famililes. They are in need of volunteers to host the event, so if you have the day free, don't hesitate to contact them! They also host a walk in the fall, and can always use donations. If you have a little extra money in your pocket that could use a good cause, please check out their website and help Addy and many other children by funding research and support.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

What a sweet little girl. I love the photo. Thank you for posting this message with it, it's such an important thing! I know various people with diabetes, it's such a hard thing to live with. Let's hope the research advances soon!

Angela said...

She is just adorable. So sweet. She sounds like a trooper! Thanks for helping spread the awareness on this. My dad has diabetes, but takes pills to keep his blood sugar in check. My grandmother had it too but she had to use insulin shots several times a day.

May God bless this little girl and her family. And hopefully, scientists can find some cure for this disease.

sherry boles~ said...

What a pretty smile she has!
Thanks for sharing the information on her condition...There's so many diseases to find cures for that it helps to personalize them sometimes by putting a 'face' to the situation.