Thursday, March 08, 2007

A truly deserved miracle...

I have worked with so many pregnant ladies recently, and every one of them has been full of joy and anticipation. But one of the sweetest and most kind expectant moms came through my door recently and I had to share with you my experience.

Laura is such a beautiful soul - she teaches first grade, and she is sweet as can be. Her little boy is scheduled to join her family tomorrow, March 9. Right before she arrived at the studio, I received a call from the local coordinator for NILMDTS. There was a family who had lost a newborn, and would I be able to go to the hospital to take the photos of their child? I had to turn it down, as I had already scheduled a session. I did feel bad - but then I found out more about Laura and I know that things have worked out the way that they should.

Laura told me that she had lost a baby last year, at 28 weeks. So she knows exactly what that family is going through - the loss of the hopes and the dreams, the profound shock and grief when what is supposed to be a happy day turns horrible. This pregnancy, she was enjoying every single minute - because she realized exactly what a miracle it really is.

A cynical person might ask how miraculous it can be - how many billions of time has the "miracle of birth" taken place throughout human existence? And yet, for anyone who has lost a child or had a pregnancy go wrong, there is no denying that it IS a miracle - no matter how many times it happens.

So tomorrow I ask that everyone keep Laura in your thoughts as she goes in to give birth to her son. If you're a praying person, pray that she has a good labor and that all is well. I know that I really can't wait to meet her little boy, and that he will be loved and appreciated all the days of his life.

No comments: